Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Session Update-Letter from John Goodlad

One of education's most revered sages, John Goodlad, was to present one of the sessions in our Distinguished Lecturer series at conference. However, he is undergoing treatment for an ongoing illness, which will prevent him from joining us at conference.

Reflecting on his illness, and a conversation with his son, have led Goodlad to understand that his current personal experiences mirror his prescriptions for education. He explains that in this letter, addressed to all conference participants.

Please feel free to comment on the letter, respond to Goodlad, or send him a note using the comments link at the bottom of the post. We will pass all of your comments to him.


Illness as a Learning Experience

John I. Goodlad

For the past five months, regaining my health has dominated my daily life. The accompanying hours of contemplation have had a profound impact on my thinking. This has not changed my ecology of belief, but it has made elements of it much clearer: We will not have the nation of our rhetorical expectations—the American Dream—until equity and justice for all are at the heart of school mission, public policy, and our daily behavior. This is the argument of the book written with colleague Corinne Mantle-Bromley and son Stephen John Goodlad, published last year, Education for Everyone: Agenda for Education in a Democracy. My ill health seems to mirror that of the nation.

On our way to the clinic one day, I railed to Stephen about the dehumanization accompanying serious illness. He took exception, claiming quite the reverse—that I am going through a very humanizing journey of actually experiencing the downside of being human. I was sharply reminded of my own teaching: reading, thinking, and talking about the shortcomings of my social and political democracy fall far short of addressing them.

Reflecting on Stephen's remark brought me into the parallel between the inequities and injustices in our care of the disabled and the education of the young. Because of the education I was fortunate to get from my little-schooled parents and from our schools, I am now getting the best of health care. (See my Romances with Schools: A Life of Education, published in 2004). But millions of children are deprived of the education that provides a pathway into the resources they need to live productive, satisfying lives and to ensure such for their children.

Day after day during these five months, I have listened to the conversations of people young and old who not only suffer life-threatening illnesses but also contemplate years of accompanying indebtedness that will deprive them of what the more fortunate take for granted, I among them.

As we go about our work each day, how often do we ever think about the relationship between the education we seek to provide and the well-being of both our democracy and the diverse array of human beings in its care? Are those we elect to care for this democracy aware that those test scores they seek to raise correlate not at all with the dispositions of honesty, integrity, good judgment, dependability, compassion, good workmanship, and the like that we expect of our citizens and that we expect our schools to develop in the young?

We do not need more education summits and commissioned reports to tell us what is wrong and what to do. But we do need lay leaders who sit in the equivalent of those clinic waiting rooms, participating with the advantaged and disadvantaged in conversations of our cultural infrastructure. And we do need educators—positional leaders or not—who hurry home from conferences such as this to work with their colleagues, students, and parents in taking inventory of the inequities and injustices embedded in their schools and pursuing an agenda of renewal. Even with our disabilities, we are fortunate to be doing the work we do with the personal abilities our circumstances have enabled us to develop.

Stephen was right. Although my daily curriculum would not be of my choosing, it is enriching my readiness for work awaiting me. I look forward to having the time to use well what I am learning. I very much regret, however, that I will not be able to bring to what I do a couple of months from now what I would have learned from attending the 2005 ASCD Annual Conference.

John I. Goodlad is president of the Institute for Educational Inquiry and a founder of the Center for Educational Renewal at the University of Washington. He is the author of over thirty books on education, including the highly acclaimed A Place Called School (McGraw-Hill, 1984), Teachers for Our Nation's Schools (Jossey-Bass, 1990), and In Praise of Education (Teachers College Press, 1997).


4 Comments:

At 10:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

John Goodlad is right - we do not need more summits or legislation to direct us in our efforts to do the right things to educate our youth...we simply need to do it, and do it well. We need to get our hands dirty, and be "in the game of life" everyday with those who need us most; the underserved, the children with the least options. Too many educators view the children in these circumstances as not reachable, yet when we reach them, we show the very best of what we know and do.

 
At 1:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

John uniquely finds lessons, not only for himself, but others from situations that confront us. Unfortunately, for too many of us, we do not learn or share that learning with others from the variety of experiences that confront us. I thought about John and then I thought about me. Then I thought about others. The lessons are good. I hope that we will consider these as we experience the events that are thrown our way. Thanks, John.

 
At 10:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Mr. Goodlad,

I have had the privelege of reading some of your books. The one I loved the most was A place called School. I was sad to know that you have been sick for some time now and was not surprised to read that you have transformed sickness into a learning experience. May you recover your health as early as possible.

I am a teacher with a school in Central India. My e-mail id is santhanam.rajesh@gmail.com

Yours truly,

Rajesh Santhanam

 
At 1:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Dr. Goodlad,

I hope this 36 year belated THANK YOU finds you recovered from your illness.

Why a belated thank you? On October 22, 1969, I, a 30 year old novice principal in Glastonbury Connecticut, attended a seminar of yours I believe in a Holiday Inn or other such sterile environment.

The topic of the seminar was ARE OUR SCHOOLS OBSOLETE? I returned to my community and school with such productive and powerful ideas;concepts which guided my thinking during the 16 years(1968-1984)I was principal of Hopewell Elementary School in Glastonbury.

Throughout the years I have kept the five 3x5 note cards, now a little faded and clipped together by a rusting paper clip, on which I had summarized your presentation. Your ideas however are neither fading nor rusty.

If I might be so bold as to share a few of my notes of that presentation for those who may read this BLOB:

NINE REASONABLE EXPECTATIONS
--classrooms have clear sense of direction for children

--teach youngsters how to learn

--subject matter related to interests and concerns of learner

--instuctional materials, wide selection

--provisions for individualized instruction

--teachers use principles of learning

--group dynamics,group interaction

--tyranny of testing

--flexible use of resources

PROPOSAL
If We Are To Change, We Must Change Our Approach To Change

THE SINGLE SCHOOL IS THE LARGEST UNIT OF CHANGE--"organic unit of change"

Within it, everything that is needed. Place preservice teachers in schools.

Inservice teacher education must change. Faculty meetings to solve problems of it own students and school

If local school is organic unit for change:
1. School must be able to select its staff
2. Curriculum building in local school
3. Increase teaching year
4. Different role for central staff
5. Parents interested in their school, not school in general


Thanks again. Your ideas were so clear and made so much sense, simplifying rather than bogging done educators with more jargon and more bureaucracy! I cannot imagine how many thousands of educators have been inspired and "enlightened" by your writings and presentations over the years. Often as educators we never know how much we have impacted on people. Well I just want you to know that I am only one of the many!

Be well!
Yours truly,

Richard Lakin
Jeruslem, Israel(since 1984)
rlakin@netvision.net.il

 

Post a Comment

<< Home